Friday, August 17, 2007

Review: Japanese Outlet!

I used to live in Hartford Connecticut-- and when I lived there-- they had an amazing market called A Dong. Now, while A Dong had all things Japanese, as well as some chinese and korean imports it was also the size of the Fine Fare. If you cram that all down and take out the food aspects of the A Dong Groccer. You would end up with 'Japanese Outlet.'
Japanese Outlet is a cute little little store on Dyckman street, near where it intersects Sherman.
The store is exactly what it says it is-- a Japanese Outlet.
It is sort of a Japanese version of a dollar store. When i went there I was in search of things to make the new apartment homey, and since a lot of my color scheme is black and red- many of the accents from a japanese outlet would fit right in.
But when I got there I found that they mostly had little things-umbrellas, balloons, and almost all of them Japanese imports. I ended up getting; 6 Magnets, and chopsticks.
The staff is really helpful. They didnt have any magnets out when i went by, and i asked the lady behind the counter if she had any in stock. She smiled and went out the back door, and up a flight of stairs and came back with a big bag FULL of different magnets. I got a couple of magnets featuring wine bottles, as well as a frying pan, and a birthday cake-- they all stick to my fridge very well.
Anyway. It is what it is, a Japanese outlet/random stuff store.
I fly by there when ever i need something a little different than what the 99 cent store on Dyckman can give me. Cause honestly, a lot of the things at J.O. are better quality than a normal dollar store. They also have some cute tea pots and stuff like that as well as some specialty items that you would only find in a Japanese store- Especially cookware items.
It is a very unique establishment in this part of town.
So definatley stop by and peek in.

For what it is, its pretty great-- and they sell fresh cut flowers out front.
Worth the INK- Its the only place like it up here.
7 out of 10.

Not that I have been to a lot of japanese outlet stores, but I didn'd find what I thought i would there, which was some japanese art to decorate the new place with. Sort of dissapointed. But I have a feeling they have different items in stock all the time-- all the more reason to pop by and see what is new!

**
The shop is between Sherman and Nagel on Dyckman street. Pop on by.

2 comments:

Rid said...

Hey -

I'm a Columbia Journalism student and I'm covering Inwood for the semester; can we talk on the phone or get together to talk about the neighborhood sometime? I'll be in Inwood most of the day Tuesday 8/28 and Wednesday 8/29. I have a blog at http://iamtherid.blogspot.com/ and you can leave contact info there if you like, or e-mail me at my myspace account, www.myspace.com/iamtherid.

This is a little bizarre, I know, but totally legit!

Thanks,
dave

Carla said...

Where is that shop?