Thursday, August 16, 2007

Review: Il Sole

This is one of the only sidewalk cafes/restaurants in Inwood. It has an Italian menu-- which you can see HERE. It is at 233 Dyckman street.. I eat there whenever I want to have the experience of feeling like I am in the meat packing district but don't feel like taking the train. However, there are some differences between a sidewalk cafe in the meat packing district and our Inwood's lovely Il Sole.

It isn't a large restaurant- so getting a table quickly is no trouble really. Sadly though, if you sit outside chances are some fat guy or guys is going to ruin your evening by smoking a huge cigar. It seems the management has neglected to enforce the New York smoking ban in eating establishments. Also if you sit outside on a warm summer night, you will have a lovely view of the gas station in all its florescent glory. But these are easily remedied by sitting just on the cusp of the patio and the inside. Tadah-- no more glaring lights and much less of a chance for smoke inhalation during your supper.

Now to get on to supper- I started out with a Mojito- which was actually really excellent and relaxing. My friend ordered the chicken Francais and I had the chicken Marsala. Our waiter was wonderful. He was really personable and took our orders with a smile and brought the food very quickly. When it arrived though, I was disappointed to see that though we had ordered different things- they looked almost the same. They were thin pieces of salty sort of dry chicken with a small side of pasta with different sauces. I have to say that it was almost too salty to eat. I have no idea if this is typical of their preparation, but it wasn't pleasant-- but thankfully it was cheap. The menu-- if you haven't looked already is VERY reasonably priced-- and for the ambiance that you get with out the hassle of leaving Inwood it makes for a nice night.

I want to go back though and order something else. I feel like the chicken was an accident somehow, or they had run out of fresh cuts of meat and had to use precooked frozen chicken. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. But by the second Mojito- I was kind of okay with the fact that the food wasn't absolutely delicious.
So.
Not worth the INK. But they make a good drink.
Il Sole is very cute for Inwood- but hasn't amused my taste buds yet.
6 out of 10.

No comments: