Sunday, August 12, 2007

Horrible Getting Home




As I had said in a former post- The A is not running up to Dyckman.

Well, I was having drinks with a buddy down in midtown which lasted till 2:30 am. So, we are all done and I am ready to hop on the 1 train to head up town.
I waited for the 1 train until 3:30 am.
It was horrible.
I should have known something was up when I saw an abnormal amount of people in the station. I waited at 50th street as three '2' trains went by, and finally took the fourth to 96th so at least I'd feel like I was making progress.

So. Let me tell you about the 2.

Firstly, the two goes to a part of town which many people consider "unsavory." So naturally the moment I get into the train car, a fight broke out between two drunk girls sporting their best muffin tops over the sides of their jeans.
Then--- as we passed oh... 72nd I think... A guy comes into out car with a big bag on. He announced he was selling two 40 oz. for twenty bucks and then went around whispering something about some other drugs that he was selling. Classy.
So I got off on 96th finally, and there is about oh,,, 400 people waiting to get on the one train, which has not showed up for an hour or more. There are about 10 cops waiting on the platform as well, perhaps to keep us from killing each other and falling off the crowded platform in the ridiculous heat.

People were passed out on the ground and if not committing to their exhaustion, then they were bitching loudly to whomever would listen. Some even bitched to friends who didn't exist.. crazy folks- love em.

I let myself start my lucid dreaming. I wonder about the mole people who I hear live in the subway. I wonder if they live above ground ever, or if they live under new york in a mutant village of outcasts like in a cartoon... I wonder if they eat the rats. Because if they do- they are actually very wonderful people- not that they are not anyway. But because they are an important part of the ecosystem which I learned about in 10th grade with Mrs. Kneeland. Mole people would keep the rats in control. I bet them rats are spicy.

So. Finally the train comes, and we all clap and fight each other for a seat.

The moral of the story is. Just take a damn cab. It is about 20 bucks but you go RIGHT UP the west side highway! And some cabbies take credit cards now.

But the one comfort I DO take in riding the crappy MTA with 400 people at 4 am, is that i was totally safe with all those people around. No fear of muggings. Woot Woot.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Hilarious dude. Gotta love the NYC subway system. HA!

-Bryan