Sunday, September 2, 2007

Review: NEXXUS SHOES

Nexxus Shoes 168 Dyckman street.


So, typical me-I have a pair of crappy old flip flops that finally flopped out on me after a few years but still procrastinated till the end of summer to get new ones. I searched HIGH and LOW for a month for a store that sold a NICE pair of sandals/flip flops that were also NICE and CHEAP.
I spent most of the time looking on 8th avenue between 42nd and 34th- there are a lot of shoe shops there. But alas and alack---nothing seemed worth buying.

Finally one day wandering around the Dyckman Valley Neighborhood, I found NEXXUS.

I walked in and the older gentleman who was organizing the shoe racks greeted me. I quickly made my way to the back of the store where about 3 dozen pairs of very nice looking sandals and flip flops greeted me. Most of them honestly looked either too dressy for me, or were a little too odd. Whatever the case may be... I picked out a few pairs that I thought suited me.

The first pair was straight out of the bible--- and not very me. But the clerk was insistent that I let him get the sandals mate out of the back so I could walk around. -- They were comfy, but I am no Moses.

The second pair.. same story-- But I don't think I look very keen in a white sandal. There is something suburban house wife-ish about a white sandal.

The THIRD pair-- well, they were great! and I bought them. All of the sandals were 20 bucks. And I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

The store has lots of benches to sit on, and the workers were all VERY pleasant, leaving me quite pleased with my experience. The lighting was all florescent but at least there was a lot of it so i could really see the shoes. Some 'high class' stores have such dim lighting I could be trying on a dead puppy and not know it.

The clerk even cracked a few jokes with me about shoes, which I am sure don't exist outside the trade. I won't give them away, but he is a funny guy and I am sure if you go there he will treat you to a guffaw or two.

So it is a good store-- it had a good selection of most everything I needed and as you can see I got just what I was looking for.

UPDATE:
I did not get what I was looking for. The sandals broke after wearing them seven times or so. The fibers in the tong actually SEPARATED-- they didn't snap from a fall, trip or other self inflicted wound. They were just crappy shoes. It sucks cause the people there were so nice- they just happen to be selling a poorly made product. So,, i guess go for the ambiance and not for the shoes??... meh.


This cozy boutique is NOT worth the ink

I had given them an 8 out of ten before, but thats when I thought the shoes were going to be around for a while longer.

4 out of 10-- They sandals don't hold up to 7 wearnings. Just go to payless down the street.

2 comments:

Islem Tav said...

Funny you posted this... I've been living in the neighborhood for 7 years and I just discovered this store myself. Very nice ladies' shoes and the prices are right and (for the first time) I didn't feel I was being flirted on in an all-men staffed shoe store! ITA with your rating. Good!

Anonymous said...

I love to buy my stylish and comfortable shoes from Shoebuy,
Footsmart and Zappos
stores at CouponAlbum