Thursday, September 13, 2007

Review: Tread Bike Shop


I have a small story to tell...


When I was younger and lived back in Minnesota my parents gave me a bike. It was an amazing TREK bike. It was green and I took amazing care of it. It came with me when I went to college. It came with me when I moved to Brooklyn. But unfortunately while I was out of town with a show, my roommates decided to move the furniture around in the apartment and had the bright idea to put the bike in the hall way while they did this. They say they were not even ten minutes, and when they came to get the bike- it had been stolen.
Anyway- they figured that 150 bucks was enough to get me a new-used-bike.

I moved out of that place in Brooklyn and into my own in Inwood where I began to search for a place to get a bike for 150 bucks. I found; Tread Bike Shop.

I brought my money with me thinking they may have something used that I could get for about that amount. But they store did not. Instead they had REALLY nice nice bikes. Bikes far to expensive for me to purchase. So, I left but made a mental note that the place existed and to come back if i needed anything..

It was wise of me to do so because..

I went to my good friend 'Craigslist' where I found a great looking silver bike. I bought it for 120 dollars from a Chinese delivery boy who said it worked great and he had never had a problem. I tested it out in front of him and was satisfied with it. I was thrilled to finally have a bike back in my possession.

So, a week later I was riding the bike down the west side parkway-- which is really beautiful. I rode it all they way to the battery and on my way back up at 14th street; the pedals fell off.

Lucky for me i had brought two bucks with me just in case I needed to take a train home or got tired.. so I took the train back and the next day brought the bike to the Tread Bike Shop.

I walked my bike in and brought it to the back where they have a nice set up for fixing up bikes and such. I was immediately helped and my bike was fixed less than 10 minutes later and for less than 15 dollars. It was really easy and they were so nice.



So the next week I rode my bike down to the battery again, and when i was on my way back up- Both my tires went flat. I am planning on going back to Tread to get it fixed up.

So I don't really know what the moral of the story is...

Maybe:
Don't let your roommates touch your bike-EVER.

OR:
Be careful when you get a bike off Craigslist

But probably;
Go to Tread bike shop if you live in Inwood and need help with your bike.



Worth the ink

I give them a 9 out of 10.

-They don't sell used bikes.



But: they do RENT out bikes if i recall.


Tread bike shop is located off Dyckman street and Seaman.


250 Dyckman St
New York, NY 10034
(212) 544-7055
treadbikeshop.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a daily bicycle commuter and weekend rider, and I love Tread Bike Shop. I like to do a lot of my own mechanic work, but they are helpful (and inexpensive) if I ever have to get any work done that is beyond my expertise (or if I just don't have the right tools). Also, I buy a lot of stuff from them, and when they don't have what I need in stock, they have no problem special ordering it for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm wondering how good that their mechanics are. I'm getting ready to replace the entire drive train on my track bike and I want to make sure that it is done properly. Are the mechanics there qualified to do such things?

Rudy

Unknown said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.



Used Bikes

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog. Thank you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.